If you like banana bread, you will love this moist banana cake! My kids love banana bread and my son absolutely loves banana cake. So, I thought it was time to share this banana cake recipe.
If you want a new way to use up those ripe bananas this banana cake recipe is the perfect way. With a moist and tender crumb, and a cream cheese frosting, this is the perfect recipe for those over ripe bananas.
With the combination of butter, sugar, eggs, bananas and flour (along with some other ingredients you can make a quick and easy banana cake.
How to make easy banana cake
First, in a large bowl( or in the bowl of a stand mixer), add the unsalted butter and sugar. and cream together. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla and continue to mix together. You can use a hand mixer, stand mixer or mix it by hand if you desire.
Next, add the mashed bananas and mix everything until well combined. Last add the dry ingredients, flour, salt, and baking soda.
Stir until combined. Do not overmix.
Take your 9 by 13 pan and oil and flour it. I like to use butter or crisco to grease the pan and then dust flour to help prevent sticking.
Pour batter into the pan and spread evenly.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Bake in your preheated oven for 25-35 minutes. You can use a toothpick to check the center of the cake. Once it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Let the cake completely cool before you add the cream cheese frosting. After is it frosted you can slice and serve!
Other ways to use this banana cake recipe:
Ways to use this banana cake recipe
- Split batter into two and use 2 8 inch round cake pans or square cake pans. You can then layer the cakes and ice them.
- Use mini bundt pans to create individual banana cakes. Pipe on the cream cheese frosting for a pretty effect.
- Make banana cupcakes using your cupcake pan, and top with cream cheese frosting.
- For a thinner cake, use a jelly roll sheet pan to make a sheet cake. Ice the same as wih a 9 by 13 pan.
- Top the cake with crushed walnuts once it has been frosted for added texture and flavor. Omit for food allergies or preferences.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This moist and tender banana cake is the perfect way to use up over ripe bananas and topped with cream cheese frosting it is the perfect dessert.
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas About 3 bananas
You can either use a hand mixer, stand mixer or mix this by hand. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In your mixer or a large bowl, add your softened butter and sugar. Beat together until it is creamed.
Add your eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix together.
Add your sour cream, salt, baking soda and bananas and continue to mix. Last add the flour and mix until just combined.
Grease a 9 by 13 pan and dust with flour. Pour the cake batter into the pan and smooth out.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.
Let the cake cool completely before frosting it with cream cheese frosting. You can get my cream cheese frosting recipe here!
Store cake in an airtight container. I like to store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
This is the best banana cake ever! This easy banana cake recipe can be make for a get together or just for a night in with the family.
- Use full fat sour cream for this recipe. It is the best option for this recipe.
- You can freeze the cake before icing it as well. This helps lock in the moisture and keep a tender crumb. Wrap the cake layer in plastic wrap and freeze.
- Do not overmix the cake batter. This will give you a tough cake.
- You can freeze your overripe bananas and thaw them before use. If you don’t have time to use up your overripe bananas, this is a great option.
- If you use a stand mixer to mix your bater, use a paddle attachment to mix the ingredients.