They great thing about making sourdough weekly is the bread. The only problem with making bread every week is the sometimes excess of bread. My kids do a pretty good job of eating all the sourdough bread, but sometimes we have about 4 day old sourdough bread that nobody wants to eat. This is where my sourdough bread and egg bake come into play!
I hate to waste any sourdough, especially with all the time and effort that is put into a loaf of bread. This isa great breakfast idea, brunch or even a quick dinner option. It is a flexible recipe that you can change according to what you love.
Just a few ingredients
This bread and egg bake is exactly what you read. It is a fluffy egg bake that is similar to a casserole or a quiche but is really quick and easy to make.
We often make this breakfast casserole when we are camping. I prefer to bake this in a cast iron skillet. It gives it a flavorful, crispy crust and I just personally prefer it!
Sourdough Bread and Egg Bake
- 12 large eggs
- 1-2 cups diced old bread I like to use old sourdough bread or focaccia bread.
- 2 cups browned breakfast sausage About 1/2 pound
- 1-2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese you can also use mild, medium or swiss cheese
- salt and pepper to taste About 1/2 teaspoon each, more or less depending on your preference.
- butter to grease the pan
- 1/2-3/4 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prep your cast iron skillet by brushing butter on the surface. I use a 12 inch or 15 inch skillet. If you use a large skillet, you will need to double or 1 anf 1/2 the recipe.
- In a large bowl, add your eggs and milk and whisk together.
- Add your sausage, 1 cup of cheese, salt and pepper and your bread and fold it all together.
- Pour the mixture into your skillet and top with remaining cheese. You may need more.
- Bake this in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is browned and the middle is firm when you tap on it. If it still feels gushy it needs to bake longer.
- When it is done remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes just to cool a bit.
- Serve with your favorite sides and toppings. We love adding salsa, avocados, and even some sour cream.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container and reheat int he microwave or air fryer. I prefer the air fryer.
I prefer to use my dutch oven skillet to bake this but you can use any baking dish. Just make sure that you spray with nonstick spray or butter.
The flavors of this sourdough egg bake is the perfect breakfast! It is an easy breakfast casserole that can be made with minimal ingredients. The best part is that you don’t need fresh bread, but bread a couple days old is best! It is a great way to use up old bread!
The egg mixture can be changed to create something different just by changing out a few ingredients. Add bacon instead of sausage, add mushrooms, fresh herbs, different kinds of cheese like pepper jack or swiss cheese, spinach and more.
This is an easy egg casserole that anyone can make. You dont need to use sourdough bread, but I think it makes it even that much better. The bread soaks up the egg mixture and when it is baked it almost blends right into the egg and adds structure to the dish.
I plan to make this for our Christmas morning breakfast. It is fast and easy and oh so good. It is a great source of protein and for someone like me, who cannot do regular bread, this fills the void. The addition of the bread makes the eggs go further, so you can feed more with less!
If you like this breakfast egg bake, make sure to pin it for later!