Another great sourdough recipe to add to your list! This sourdough pumpkin bread is a great way to use your sourdough discard and bake some amazing pumpkin bread, the perfect fall treat.
This sourdough pumpkin bread is a sweet treat that just about everyone can love. You can add chocolate chips to this bread or top it with some amazing cream cheese frosting. You can also leave it plain and enjoy it that way! This is a great base recipe that you can use to make your favorite variation.
NEW TO SOURDOUGH?
30 + Sourdough Recipes and more…
Get all my sourdough recipes plus everything you need to know about how to start with sourdough, FAQ, and more!
The spices used in this bread are what makes it so amazing, well that and the sourdough addition. The sourdough gives this bread a very tender crumb and the flavor is perfect. It is moist, tender and tastes just like fall.
How to make amazing sourdough pumpkin bread:
Amazing Sourdough Pumpkin Bread
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice You can also use 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cloves, all spice, ginger, and cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- You can use a stand mixer, electric hand mixer or mix by hand. I prefer to mix by hand. I will make the instructions by hand. If using a mixer, use the low setting and do not overmix.
- In medium bowl add your dry ingredients: flour, spices, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix together your oil and brown sugar using a whisk.
- Add in your eggs and whisk together. Continue by adding the pumpkin puree and the sourdough and mix.
- Now, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until all is combined. (If adding chocolate chips add them now)Do not overmix. This will cause you to have a more tough bread.
- Grease and flour a 4 by 9 loaf pan and pour your batter into the pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 55-65 minutes. You want to check the middle of the bread by poking a toothpick into the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean the center is done. Make sure not to over bake as well.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Loosen the edges of the bread and remove it carefully from the pan. You can keep it in the pan and eat it from there if you choose.
- Cool completely before icing it if you want to do that. You can use my favorite Cream Cheese Frosting!
- Store any leftover bread in an airtight container. I leave mine on the counter, unless it has frosting on it, then I refrigerate it.
- You can also freeze for up to 3 months!
Add In Ideas
Make this pumpkin bread even better by adding chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or your favorite nuts to this bread. You can also add frosting to the top of the bread. There are many options of how to customize this bread.