Is there anything more comforting than a pan of meatloaf and a side of mashed potatoes? I used to not think so, but theses days? Oh,its my ultimate comfort dinner. For the longest time I did not like meat loaf, but I have found that it was the way it was made and what was in it that I didn’t like. So I want to share with you my easy meatloaf recipe with just a few ingredients.
To be clear, these staple ingredients are things that I think everyone should have in their pantry. This meat loaf can be made at any time, because I always have these simple ingredients at home.
Just a few ingredients
Meatloaf is subjective and these ingredients are the base of my recipe. You can customize according to the flavors you prefer.
For example, not a fan of ranch powder? Try using a spice mixture like a meat rub etc. Dont liek barbecue sauce? Add ketchup and mustard and a bit of brown sugar. The basic recipe of the meatloaf can stay and you can add what you love.
The basic elements of meatloaf is flavor, a binder, and a sauce. These all help add texture and flavor. I add oatmeal to my meatloaf as a filler and to help bind the meatloaf along with the sauce that I add.
The seasonings I use such as Ranch powder and salt and pepper are great basic seasonings that work well with ground beef.
Get my Classic Meatloaf Recipe Below
Classic Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey I sometimes will do half and half.
- 1 cup Quaker oatmeal old fashioned oatmeal, I dont like instant
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard or gold sauce
- 4 tablespoons favorite bbq or steak sauce
- generously season with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing powder
- 2 tablsepoons mustard of your choice I prefer a stone ground mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons favorite barbecue sauce You can also use 3 tablespoons ketchup and a spon full of brown sugar.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl add your ground beef, oatmeal, sauces and seasonings.
- Using your hands mix together all the ingredients until just combined. Mixing the meat too much will create a tough meatloaf.
- Transfer the meat into a loaf pan, perferably a 9 by 5 loaf pan.
- Press down gently and smooth the top. Mix together your ingredients for the glaze and spoon it over the top of the meat loaf. Spread it out to cover the entire loaf.
- Put the meatloaf in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. Check it at 45 minutes and assess.
- I find depending on the density of the meat, it may take longer to cook. You want the meatloaf to be cooked in the center. That is when you will know its done.
- The top of the meatloaf should start to caramelize as well, just dont let it burn.
- Once the meatloaf is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it sit for about. 10 minutes. This will allow it to reabsorb any juices and cool just enough to serve.
- I like to serve this with a side of veggies and mashed potatoes. I also like to serve it with some of my favorite gold barbecue sauce by Hey Grill Hey, but you can use whatever your favorite sauce or gravy is.
- Store leftover meatloaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. You can either use an air fryer to microwave to reheat your meatloaf
This is a dish that I think everyone should know. It is a great source of protein and tastes. amazing. It is a tender meatloaf and you can usually get 8-9 slices in a loaf.
Tips & Tricks
- You can choose to add an egg to your meat loaf if you choose but I do not add one generally. I find that with the liquid and the oatmeal, it binds the meat enough.
- You may want to add a baking sheet under your loaf pan to catch any juice that may spill over. I find that this can happen from time to time.
- Use a lean ground beef or buy a meatloaf pan with a drain tray if you are worried about that.
- Dont want to use oatmeal? Use Panko breadcrumbs or regular bread crumbs!
- Want to freeze meatloaf? You can freeze it prior to baking or after! Wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Remove both before baking and place in a loaf pan. I have frozen them in the loaf pan before and then let them defrost before baking.
- You can use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. The center should reach 165 degrees F to be considered done.
This homemade meatloaf recipe is an amazing dinner option. It is the best meatloaf recipe in my opinion. The secret ingredient in my meatloaf is the Ranch powder. It really does add great flavor to the meatloaf. The sauces added makes this a very moist meatloaf as well.
In addition to all the yummy features of this quaker oats meatloaf recipe, it is also a gluten free meatloaf recipe, which I am always a fan of! Finding gluten free meals is often difficult.
I think we all see meatloaf as an old fashioned meal, but it can be such a great source of nutrition and can have amazing flavor as well! It is a great leftover meal to have in your fridge. You can reheat it or make it into a sandwich!