Over the past few years, I have been cutting many store bought items out of my diet in exchange for either homemade, or a healthier option (which comes at a premium cost). I was purchasing the avocado mayonnaise from Costco, which I have loved but I didn’t love the price. So about 2 years ago I decided to start making my own. Let me tell you, homemade mayonnaise is so much better! With simple ingredients and my home grown eggs, this is an easy condiment to make at home. Today I am sharing my easy recipe for homemade mayonnaise.
We love sauces in our family. In addition to that, we are always making something that needs mayo, whether it is a big salad, egg salad sandwich, or a spicy mayo to go on top of some spam musubi, mayonnaise gets used often here.
Every time I make a batch of mayonnaise my daughter is fascinated. She cannot fathom how a raw egg and some oil can create something so creamy and lucious. The flavor of homemade mayonnaise is unmatched. I cant even fathom using store bought.
The thing is, I was never a fan of mayonnaise, but homemade mayo is a totally different animal. So, if you arent a fan of store bought mayo, try homemade and see the difference.
The addition of a small amount of dijon mustard, salt and vinegar give the mayo a great flavor.
FAQs about homemade mayonnaise
The act of emulsifying the egg yolk and oil is how you make mayonnaise. There are a few methods that work great to do this, including an immersion blender, a food processor, and even using a whisk.
I have found the immersion blender to be the easiest. It gives is a wonderful creamy texture.
*A safety note. Make sure you wash your hands, avoid cross contamination of your ingredients and keep your mayo refrigerated.
Enjoy your homemade mayonnaise on chicken salad, potato salad, coleslaws, make sriracha mayo, add fresh herbs, or use it to make salad dressing.
Easy Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 large egg yolk I have made it with the entire egg and its turned out great too.
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- You will need a tall jar and a immersion blender for this mayo recipe.
- In your tall jar, crack your egg and put it in the bottom of the jar. You want the egg to be at the bottom of the jar.
- Add your oil, vinegar, dijon mustard and salt.
- Carefully place the immersion blender into the jar and try to cover the egg at the bottom of the jar completely. You want the blender head to cover the egg.
- Now turn on the blender and the egg will start to emulsify with the oil. As it starts to become yellow and opaque, start to raise up the blender and keep blending the entire time. Keep raising the blender as it become mayo. Continue to blend the mixture until all the ingredients are combined and the mixture becomes thick and a nice yellow color.
- Your mayonnaise is done! Store your homemade mayonnaise in an airtight jar, I like to use a mason jar. Store in the refrigerator for one to two weeks.